Escaping to the Blue Mountains this cooler season epitomises the combination of hot chocolates, snuggling up on the sofa to the sound of a crackling fireplace, beautiful breath-taking views of some of Australia’s most beautiful scenery, and delicious, warm comforting food! So, it would be fitting to give a few delicious DIY breakfast recipes, and should any take your fancy, we’ll be sure to source any necessary ingredients for your next luxury escape at Mountain Whispers. Even better for those wanting to take advantage of the holiday experience – why not let us arrange your very own personal chef to create the meal for you? Could it get any better?!
So here are some suggested breakfast ideas – you will want to begin your day right after all if you plan to have a day hiking the picturesque Blue Mountains!
Banana Bread with Pears and Honeyed Chocolate Sauce
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cook time 50 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 3 Ripe Bananas
- 1/4 cup almond butter, raw or roasted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbs+1 tsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 Tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 ripe pear, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
For the chocolate sauce
- 2 Tbs coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbs cacao powder
- 2 Tbs honey
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F or 170C
- Combine bananas, eggs, almond butter, vanilla, baking soda, sea salt, coconut oil and 1 Tbs coconut sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add coconut flour and baking soda until well incorporated, then proceed to mix in the chocolate chips.
- In a loaf pan spread 1 tsp coconut oil on all sides until well coated and sprinkle a Tbs of coconut sugar over top, spread pear slices evenly over top.
- Carefully pour the batter over top of the pear slices and smooth it all out.
- Bake for 50 min. until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Makes about 10 slices
For the chocolate sauce:
- Combine all ingredients and leave at room temperature to thicken. Stir well before pouring over your finished banana bread
Paleo Instant Oatmeal
- Prep time 3 minutes
- Cook time 2 minutes
- 1/2 banana
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- Mash banana in bottom of bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Microwave 1 – 2 minutes, until hot and starting to bubble. Stir and let stand a couple minutes. It will thicken slightly as it cools.
- Serve with your favourite toppings, like fresh berries, honey or seeds.
The right breakfast can set you up for the perfect day of walking the Blue Mountains! You will start the day feeling fuller for longer, and with the energy you will need to trek all the hikes and take in all the views without a rumbling tummy! Combining a great breakfast with the exercise of mountain walking will have great benefits on your health – both physical and mental! It is after all, the most important meal of the day, so why not make it a delightful one!