We all know you only have one chance at first impressions and greeting your guests to a dining table filled with luxury, sparkle and Christmas cheer will certainly make a lasting impression. The majority of the time our Christmas celebrations are centred around eating and drinking and whether they be a lavish lunch or a sophisticated cocktail party, it is paramount to be organised and have your dining table or buffet set to create the scene for a memorable occasion.
I recently took great pleasure in probing Alfresco Emporium’s resident expert in table dressing for further details into creating a festive impact around the Christmas table.
Linda Fitzgerald graciously shared with us her top tips for creating a simple, beautiful and effective scene that will wow your guests and have them wondering where on earth you found the time (and inspiration!) for your stunningly decorated table ~
– The very first place to start is to be organised. Get that list together and start crossing off. Tablecloths, check. Placemats, check. Serving ware, check. Crockery, check. Glassware, check. Cutlery, check. Decorations, check. Condiments, check. Having everything ready at hand and presented beautifully on the table will allow you to enjoy more time with your guests and less time fussing in the kitchen and checking you have everything.
– Layering is the key to an impressive table. Start at the bottom, your tablecloth. Choose your colour theme and layer from there. Using placemats or charger plates on top of your tablecloth will define each guests’ seating position and frame your dinner plates. Once the plates go down, consider decorating each setting, maybe with a little gift your guest can take home.
– Look to nature. Pinecones, spruce, red berries are all out there for the picking and using the beauty around makes your Christmas truly special. The same goes for creating a seaside Christmas theme. Use sand, coral, shells and seaglass to decorate and theme your Christmas.
– It’s time to bring out all your fancy silverware, crystal and serving ware, which only seems to surface once a year. Using those special items which are family heirlooms or wedding gifts from years ago will give your Christmas a sense of occasion.
– Leave room for candles. Whether you are entertaining during the day or at night, candlelight and the flicker of a flame adds a special Christmas twinkle to everyone’s eyes.
We hope some of these tips help you create a memorable and stunning Christmas table to be enjoyed by all your family and friends.
With great thanks to our friends from Alfresco Emporium for their insights and expertise, they are well worth a visit if you are around Sydney as their store is simply divine! And with plenty of ideas now up your sleeve to create a beautiful table this Christmas, we hope that you enjoy your Christmas day with wonderful friends, family, and of course, food! Why not share your table on Instagram and tag #mwchristmastable